By Emily Ferrufino-Coqueugniot
The Lindell Hotel was once a well respected hotel in Auraria and Denver, located at Eleventh and Larimer, a site which is now the Athletic Field on the west side of campus. It was once one of the biggest structures in town. Originally it was a trade store opened by the J.B. Doyle Company. When it opened the store had $30,000 worth of goods for sale. At the time the building contained a grocery store, a beer hall, a barber shop, and other businesses. Part of the hotel was razed in 1953.
In 1891, the hotel was accused of operating a bar within 500 feet of the Washington School. By 1949, a Denver Post article claimed that the hotel was one of only three buildings in Auraria built before 1860 still standing on its original site.
The CU Denver 4244/5244 - History Museums, Exhibits and Education class took on the task of digitally telling Auraria's history. CU Denver Professor:
for the Museum Studies Class.